iPass IELTS online training courses

Job Search

Select category first

Australia > Australia FAQs > Centrelink/Bringing a Partner /Seeking a Job

Centrelink / Bringing a Partner / Seeking a Job

How do I register with Centrelink?

Centrelink is an Australian government agency that provides assistance with job seeking and social security payments, as well as other necessary and related assistance. Newly arrived residents can register with Centrelink to get help with finding a job, having overseas skills recognized, and accessing relevant courses. Centrelink also has Tax File Number application forms and can assist you with getting your application submitted to the Tax Office, so that access to any payments are not delayed.

If you have children, you may be eligible for government-funded Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of raising them.

Centrelink contact details

Telephone: 13 1021

Help in languages other than English: 13 1202

Centrelink website: www.centrelink.gov.au

Is there work for a Spouse / Partner?

In Australia, all jobs and professions are open to men and women. There are laws to protect workers against unfair treatment or discrimination based on their gender, race, disability, religion or sexual orientation. Equal Employment Opportunity laws require workplaces to ensure that career opportunities, advancement and training are based on worker's merit, skills and experience rather than preferential treatment or discrimination. Under Australian law, employees can choose to join (or not to join) a trade union.

Job Network: Any Australian resident can register with Centrelink for help in finding a job.

Once you are registered you can be referred to Job Network, which consists of private, community and government organizations which help people find employment.

Job Network organizations will help you find job opportunities based on your experience and qualifications. They may also help you access further training, which will help you find a job. Job Network also offers extra assistance to people from non-English speaking backgrounds, and may be able to help you developing job application and interview skills.

It is important to have any qualifications you have translated into English, and to find out whether those qualifications are recognized in Australia. These can be translated free at any Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provider or by the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS). Your caseworker, proposer or the agency can assist you in this process.

All job seekers can also use the free Job Network Access facilities at Centrelink and a number of Job Network Member agencies, including telephones, photocopiers, fax machines, touch screens and computers (including the internet). For more information on services go to the website: http://employment.gov.au/ 

The Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR)

DEWR provides access to on-line services and information, with guides to employment information, government assistance, jobs, careers, training and working conditions. For information go to http://employment.gov.au/ 

Other Ways to Look For a Job

In addition to Job Network support, you can start looking for work by using one or more of the following means:

Some employers display signs in their windows when they need workers. It is also helpful to ask your friends and relatives to tell you if they hear about any jobs that become available.


It is advisable to have your qualifications formally recognized. This will improve your chances of working the in profession you are qualified to. If you have qualifications in the engineering, construction, metalwork, electrical or catering trades, Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) can advise you on how to have those qualifications recognized in Australia.

TRA can be contacted on (02) 6121 7456 or visit the website: http://www,tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx for further information.

The National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) provides information on how to have post-secondary overseas academic qualifications recognized in Australia.

Some trades or professions offer 'bridging' courses to convert your qualifications to Australian standards. For more information contact your caseworker, proposer or visit the website: http://employment.gov.au/

Latest jobs


UK +44 7393 5355 90
FI +358 40 582 4833
IRL +353 85 8135 180
Finland +358 9 4155 6611
Ireland +353 1 697 2097
US +1 202-800-7434
Local Numbers:
London (020) 3519 2258
New Zealand 09 8011 097
Ireland 01 697 20 97
Portugal 22 0027 760
Spain 960 130 246
Canada 1 204-800-4076
US 1 202-800-7434