iPass IELTS online training courses

Job Search

Select category first

United Kingdom > UK FAQs > Living in the UK

Living in the UK

Will there be housing for me / my family on arrival?

Yes. However, in the beginning you may have to take what is available at the time, and may not be able to select the location or type of accommodation. Depending on availability and circumstances, accommodation is arranged by either us or the hospital.

Who pays for the housing?

You will pay the rent for the housing, but we will provide detailed information and advice on the best way to settle into your new home.

Sometimes the hospitals will pay the first month rent if you are planning to stay for at least one year. Note that you would be required to pay this back if you fail to complete the agreed term.  Housing benefits vary depending on the Trust and you will be advised on the specific benefits for you at application stage.

What happens if I want to work in another hospital after I arrive?

If you are an EU national, it is easy to move hospitals. However, you should complete your contract as agreed before moving on.

For non-EU nationals, your new employer would have to sponsor your work permit and visa. 

Will my children get free schooling?

State schools www.education.gov.uk
Private schools www.universitiesuk.ac.uk
University www.ucas.ac.uk
Fees www.ukprivateschools.com

I am going alone with my child. Is there childcare available?

Some hospitals have childcare facilities. However, there can be a waiting list for places. Each candidate's personal circumstances are reviewed prior to arrival and a personalized and detailed plan for UK integration is outlined. After the personalized integration plan is formed, it is our job to ensure that everything is in place prior to arrival.

Childcare https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages/child
Department for Education http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare

Will my partner be able to get a job?

Jobcentre Plus job search

Do I get a free flight?

Generally, the Trust will pay for your flight to the UK. Sometimes a return flight is paid, but holiday flights are not. Each Trust will have its own benefit package, and you will be advised of the specific benefits for you at application stage.

Does my family get free flights?

No.  The benefits package offered to you is the same whether you bring a family with you or not.

Do I have to pay for medical care? /What is the National Health Service (NHS)?

The NHS is the UK's state health service and provides medical treatment through three main routes:

General Practitioners (GP - Doctor) Surgery, Clinic or Health Centre

When you arrive, you should register with a GP (doctor) in the area in which you live. Your GP is usually the first point of contact for medical treatment. Most illnesses and other problems can be treated by a GP, but if you need to see a specialist, the GP will refer you to the appropriate hospital department.


If your GP refers you to a hospital for treatment, you will usually be given an appointment to see a specialist doctor at a hospital. You may be seen as an in-patient (where you stay at the hospital for treatment) or as an out-patient (where you visit the hospital each time you require treatment).

Accident and Emergency (A&E) Departments 

Some hospitals have A&E departments. These departments are open 24 hours a day and deal with patients who require emergency treatment. If you have an accident or urgent medical problem, you can go to the A&E department.  Whilst you do not need to make an appointment, you may have to wait for a long time to be seen by a doctor.

Dealing with medical emergencies

If you need immediate medical assistance (for example, because of an accident), call 999. The call is free.

Am I entitled to free NHS treatment?

The following NHS treatments are free to anyone:

EEA nationals and accompanying family members should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their country of residence. This entitles the holder and his or her family to full NHS treatment.

Non-EEA nationals and accompanying family members will not be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment, except in emergencies. A GP may agree to treat you for free, but this will usually be limited to urgent treatment that cannot be delayed until you return home. You will have to pay for any other treatment as a private patient. It is therefore very important that you take out medical insurance for the duration of your visit to the UK. If you do not have insurance, private treatment could prove very expensive.

Reciprocal Health Care Agreements

The UK has reciprocal health care agreements with the following countries:

Countries in the European Economic Area

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Yugoslavia e.g. Serbia & Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

Anguilla, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Channel Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Iceland, Isle of Man, Montserrat, St Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands.

Reciprocal health care agreements will usually cover hospital treatment although you should check with your home country health authority for full details.

Please note that this list is subject to change, please visit the Department of Health website for up to date information.

I am entitled to NHS treatment, what does the NHS provide free of charge?

If you are entitled to NHS treatment, you will be able to use a GP (doctor) and other GP services (e.g. visiting a clinic) for free. You will also be able to get treatment in a hospital. This includes both emergency and non-emergency.

You may need to pay for some GP services (e.g. certain vaccinations), dental and optical treatment, or prescription medicines. Some patient groups can get free prescriptions (see UKCISA guide below).

If you cannot get free NHS prescriptions and you will be receiving prescriptions on a regular basis, you could reduce your costs by purchasing a prepayment certificate. This is a certificate that allows you to make unlimited number of NHS prescriptions. If you think you will have to pay for more than 5 prescription items in 4 months or 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a prepayment certificate (PPC). You can get a prepayment certificate application form from most Post Offices or apply for a prepayment certificate online.

You may also be able to claim for help towards health costs on the grounds of low income. Ask your GP surgery for a HC1 form (also available at ISAS and the ARC). Health benefits are not classed as 'public funds'. Your immigration status will not be affected if you claim and receive any help with health costs.

Can I bring my dog or cat?

Please visit the website below for guidance.

Defra website

How much will the process cost me?

NMC Registration: The application costs £120.  Note that this does not include the costs of document notarisation/translation.

Notarising and translation of documents for NMC: All accompanying paperwork requested as part of the registration process must be certified copies of the original documents, including both the original language version and an English translation. This means that you should be prepared to pay for notarisations and translations.

Immunisations: Once you have accepted an offer, you will need to have all required immunisations brought up-to-date.

Flights: If you are to be interviewed in the UK, you should be prepared to pay for your flights/accommodation to attend the interview.

Accommodation:  You should be able to pay your deposit and one month rent in advance. Hospitals generally give some financial support towards this. 

Do you provide a meet and greet service?

Yes every candidate and their family is offered a meet and greet service. This may be a representative from Professional Connections or a representative of the NHS Trust.

What does the meet and greet service include?

Latest jobs


UK +44 7393 5355 90
FI +358 40 582 4833
Finland +358 9 4155 6611
Ireland +353 1 697 2097
US +1 202-800-7434
Local Numbers:
London (020) 3519 2258
Ireland 01 697 20 97
Portugal 22 0027 760
Spain 960 130 246
Canada 1 204-800-4076
US 1 202-800-7434
Australia Toll Free +61 1800 130 712
New Zealand Toll Free +64 800 896 201